Wednesday, April 17, 2013

He's Three!?

Although Jesse doesn't want to admit it, he's 3 now. He still proclaims, "I'm 2!" When did my baby turn into a little boy?

We've been busy. We had my niece and nephew's birthday the week before Jesse's. Then his birthday. We planned a party at our house for immediate family and a few close friends. Jesse had an ear infection a few days before, so I got him on anti-biotics to clear it up as soon as possible. It worked, but the day of his party he started coughing. I thought it was related to the ear infection drainage, but it wasn't. He was sick. Sick for his own birthday party. He was ok the first couple hours, then he was passed out sick on the couch. He missed cake and present opening. When he woke up, we let him open presents, but by then almost everyone was gone.

Since his birthday was the following day, Easter, we decided we would celebrate then. I was supposed to work at the restaurant in the morning, but the head server called me at 9am and asked me if I wanted the day off (she knew it was his birthday). Even though I needed the money, I took the offer and stayed home with my baby on his birthday. We let him play with new toys. The weather was nice so we spent time outside. We had a few friends over and celebrated again, this time there was cake.
Bubble Blower, an Easter gift

Loved his new Big Wheels

One thing that Jesse's always had issues with, due to his clefts, are sucking and blowing. He started sucking shortly after his palate surgery just before his 1st birthday. Since then we have been working on blowing. We have used bubbles, cotton balls, whistles, straws, etc. There are many techniques used in helping a child blow. This year it was very important to me to watch my son blow the candles out on his birthday cake. I didn't even want to practice with candles because I wanted it to be special, for me and for him.

We sang "Happy Birthday", his face lit up with joy. I had my camera ready for all the necessary birthday cake shots, then the moment of truth came and he did it! Blew each candle out one by one, but he BLEW! Most mothers wouldn't be proud of such a task, but to a cleft mom, it meant the world!


A funny thing happened a few days later. Jesse had gone to bed and we had a ton of leftover cake (as we were expecting to serve it to 15+ people). He had come out of his room and popped around the corner to the kitchen, saw his cake and asked, "Is it my birthday again?" I was so sweet and innocent.

No comments:

Post a Comment