Monday, October 24, 2011

The Chicken Nugget

I have a new idea in the works to get a new camera. not just any new camera, but a good one! I hope I can make this happen.

So when I had Jesse I made a promise to myself and him that I wouldn't feed him crap. Meaning, I will not buy him fast food chicken nuggets, fries or anything of the like. There's no excuse to not cook his meals. Sure, I have given him jarred baby food and on occasion Gerber Graduates meals. That was mostly due to convenience for his previous daycare providers. I did make babyfood for him and froze it in ice cubes. That's what I gave him for his home meals before he started on solids.

I've been having feeding problems lately. Sometimes he just does not want to eat. I can usually get him to eat pasta, eggs (with spinach and cheese), yogurt and fruit. But that's about it. A kid can't live on those 4 things alone. Ok, he probably can, but I feel like I need to give him well rounded meals. Meals that include meat (or protein) and vegetables. Yes, eggs have protein and veg, which is why I started feeding them to him, but I am finding myself giving him eggs 4 times a week because he won't eat much else.

Today I finally broke down and bought a bag of chicken nuggets. I feel guilty! Not as guilty as I would buying him chicken nuggets from a fast food joint, but guilty that I am still going to give him processed meat. It's not like chicken nuggets existed 30 or 40 years ago, and those kids survived. I will jusify this a little. I have made him breaded chicken breast.... but he wouldn't eat it. Honestly, I have no clue why. I liked it!

For the past 6 weeks or so, Jesse started going to structured daycare. By structured I mean that he's going to daycare that's not just a friend watching my kid. He goes every day, gets fed there and has a schedule there. The lady that runs the daycare feeds several children, so she feeds the kids much like a daycare facility would; pizza, quesadillas, spaghetti, pbj, grilled cheese, corn dogs and yes, the chicken nugget. I am not completely opposed to these foods, I just don't want my kid hooked on fast food before he can even choose what to eat. But if he needs protein in his diet and a chicken nugget is a method to do-so, then so be it. It's not like I plan on feeding him chicken nuggets on a daily basis or anything. Oh and another point of justification, I at least bought the name brand that's 100% natural with no fillers.

No comments:

Post a Comment