Wednesday, February 9, 2011

One Week

The other day I started a blog about the big snow storm, the "Blizzard of 2011".... but after a paragraph, I realized that I wasn't really focused on what I was writing and like 15 other states experienced what we did. Since I had 2 days off due to the blizzard, I did get to make lots of yummy food and spend some much needed time with my son. So I am thankful for the "Blizzard of 2011". Life returned back to normal for most people within 36 hours.

The "Snow Day" chocolate crinkles I made.

Today I got a call from the Admissions department at the hospital. They were calling to ask some pre-op information about Jesse. The woman on the phone was very kind and had a nice comforting voice. I suppose that's key in a job like that. The second I hung up the phone it hit me like a ton of bricks. It's really happening, and it will be happening a week from today. This time next week I will be in a hospital, sitting in that same waiting area where I have sat before.... too many times before. It breaks my heart and we aren't even there yet.

I know this is the right thing to do, he needs this surgery. More than most people even know. Sure, he could survive without surgery, but with lifelong issues. It's best to just get it done now and move on with life.

Sure it's not heart surgery or brain surgery, but it is surgery. I know there are many parents out there that go through so much more and honestly, I don't know how they do it. I guess you have to have faith, and a lot of it. The worst part of all this will be the waiting room. Anxiously waiting for his surgeon to come through the door, take us into that small room and tell us the surgery was a success. I am not positive how long I will be in that room, probably about 4 hours. Give or take. If I remember correctly, she told us surgery was 4 hours. Not sure if that time is start to finish or if time is added on for prep and recovery. I will ask again when we see her prior to surgery. When he's in recovery, one of us will be able to see him. Last time it was me. Paul believes a child should be with his mother at times like this. I have to agree, but part of that is selfishness. He will be waking up during this time. When they feel he is ready, they will move him to a room in the pediatrics department where we will stay at least 24 hours. Maybe 36 or 48, depending on how he's doing. He will have IV's. He will be fed through his IV for a little while. He will also get pain meds through the IV (morphine, I think). When we get home on Thursday or Friday we will have Tylenol 3 to manage his pain. That's what we had when he had lip surgery and I believe we only used it for a few days. I really don't know what to expect once we get home. Just hoping he heals quickly and gets back to his smiley self in no time.

1 comment:

  1. Jesse has the best parents ever. He will be fine and you will once again be an angel soldier battling and defeating this. I'm with you in spirit love. GOOD LUCK!