Friday, April 1, 2011

One Year

A woman giving birth to a child has pain because her time has come; but when her baby is born she forgets the anguish because of her joy that a child is born into the world. -John 16:21




I wanted to write this blog last week but I didn't have any down time at work or home. Since it's been a year I want to reflect back to this time last year. One year ago my life changed in major ways. Some changes I was expecting as any woman giving birth would. Some changes were not expected. I became a mother and a cleft Mom. As I have stated before, I had no idea what a cleft really was until about 7:45pm on March 31st when I heard the word and met my new born son. Yes, I had heard this word before, but was not at all educated about clefts. I honestly thought that clefts were something that happened to malnourished people in Africa and Asia. Not something that happened to a healthy, middle class, Caucasians living in Illinois. It does happen. It happens in 1 of 700 births. There is no definite cause, it just happens.


Since March 31, 2010 we have had many challenges, but we have managed to get through every single one. We had feeding issues, surgeries, recoveries, stress, confusion, anxiety.... but we have also experienced joy, happiness, discovery, friendship, parenthood and support. Yes, it's been hard but do I wish none of this ever happened? Absolutely not. This has all changed me, in very good ways. It opened my eyes to a world I didn't even know about. I was meant to do this. This child was given to me for a reason.


I love being a Mom. I love my son more than anything else in this world. We had a birthday party for him and it was a blast. Thanks to everyone that came (even though none of them even read this, haha).

Here's a couple pictures from a year ago and from now.





No comments:

Post a Comment