Thursday, June 16, 2011

The Lake

I am super stoked about going to the lake this weekend. It's a much needed mini-vacay. We need to get out of the house, away from the stress, out of our element, forget about this life for a while and enter that life. The lake life. There's something about going to the lake that brings me peace. I don't know what it is really. Possibly the cool lake breeze, the family, the memories from when I was a child, the solitude of being away from work, away from the city, away from the suburbs. The combination of it all. Maybe if I'm lucky Mom and Dad will take Jesse tomorrow night and let Paul and I sleep in Saturday morning. That might be pushing it though.

It's Father's Day weekend and I am excited to spend it with my Dad. He's a special person to me. He's more than just my Dad, he's one of my best friends. He's truely a remarkable person and I am proud to be his daughter. It hasn't always been like that, but we won't go there.

Dad lost his job a few weeks ago. It was bad. Not just bad that he lost his job, but bad how it happened. A few years back he got laid off from the job he was at 30+ years. They really didn't give him much, like 6 or 8 weeks severence pay or something. After he was a dedicated worker for over 30 years, isn't that special? He deserveda retirement package. He was on unemployment for a while then got a job with my Mom's cousin's husband as a low voltage electrician. I think he always wanted to explore being an electrician. So he was there for a while, he knew his boss was a dipshit and a jerk, but it was a job and brought in income. The jerk called him in the morning and said he didn't need him that day because the job got messed up. A couple hours later Dad gets a letter by messenger saying his company no longer needs his services and his last paycheck was enclosed.

The following weekend my Dad got a temporary job offer helping to set up speakers and intercoms at Summerfest in Milwaukee. It's work, it's a paycheck, so he took it. He's been living at the lake for 2 weeks now. The job is ok, the pay is ok, the commute is long and he's without my Mom. I think it will be good for him to be with family, at the lake and also forgetting about the daily stresses his life is giving him.

Bringing the new camera. I hope to have it with me the whole time, unless it's raining or dark. I hope I can accomplish this goal. But I will say that I finally realized why I don't take a lot of pictures to share. It's because I take them in my mind, constantly. Over and over. I even think about it, I want to remember this. Sometimes I think I just want to keep it to myself. I don't want to miss anything trying to get that perfect picture. I don't want to waste time making sure it's focused and the lighting is right. I don't want to miss anything because my face is behind the camera and not just enjoying the life in front of it. That being said, I guess I shouldn't make this a goal, just a bonus if I get some good pictures out of the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment