Thursday, June 30, 2011

A Year Today

A year ago today, at this very moment in time I was in a hospital with my 3 month old son, in a recovery room. He had just gotten out of surgery, a surgery that would change his life... and mine. Today I am very emotional. That day was one of the scariest days of my life. Watching my little boy get taken away into surgery then anxiously sitting in the waiting room for good news. When the surgeon showed her face it WAS good news. Surgery was a success. In a matter of hours we were on our way home to start new.

First post-op bottle

In the Hospital recovery room

The first 3 months of his life were challenging. For me it was an emotional challenge, for him it was a physical challenge. He was small and frail. Eating was not easy for him, so we charted everything. How much he ate and when, how much he slept and how many diapers we changed.  He needed to be strong enough, healthy enough to have the surgery. Which he was, but barely. The first few days were pretty rough, but by Day 4 he was smiling again.

Home, Day 1
Day 4
He started eating cereal at 4 months old and the weight gain took off from there. He's strong and healthy and not the small, weak little guy I knew a long time ago. In fact, his uncle calls him Tank because he's solid. He's now in the 90th percentile on the growth chart (25th percentile pre-op). We've come so far and I am so proud of him and myself. I am grateful for all the love and support we've gotten from friends and family during this time, a time that it really mattered.

Today is a bittersweet day. A day of reflection and a day to give thanks. Thanks to my husband, family, cleft team, friends and the powers that be.
June 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment